Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Another One Hundred Word Challenge

You've heard it before. The challenge is located here, and anyone can play. The word this week is "Swimsuit". My entry, called "Unpacked", follows:








It came in a green canvas sack, brought to my door by a tall man with a stern face. The first time he came, he told me her effects would come later. I unpacked it alone, not wishing to explain to Kara just now that this was Mommy's stuff and where Mommy was. I didn't know how to say it. I laid out her items, some smelling of her sweat. The last thing was a black swimsuit. Did they have pools there? Did she swim? Did she lay out in the sun? The pile of green clothes told me nothing.

9 comments:

  1. This is haunting, and very sad. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how to enter properly, so I will just do it here and assume you will correct me if I got it wrong :-)

    What Were They Thinking?

    Swimsuits don't fit. I don't think they fit anyone. Or at the least not with the junk in my trunk.

    And dare to have ta-tas? #please

    Oh, you assume I’m talking about string bikini’s right? Um, no. I’m talking full-on one-pieces from Wal-Mart for God’s sake.

    Why can’t we go back to the days of ankle length suits? With ruffles and jackets and hats? (then we’d kill 2 birds with 1 stone – hide our ‘rolls’ and salvage bad hair days!)

    But alas with the advent of self-bronzer and liposuction those days are gone.

    As are my days by the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Heartbreaking and well crafted in so few words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaves me wanted to know what happened....good job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nicely done..
    very haunting and sad...
    Mine is here
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad. :( Creative use of the prompt, though!

    @crafty visit the 100 word challenge home at http://vv100words.blogspot.com/ and submit the link to your piece, or copy into the comments there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just that. Poignant and heart rending. My pick this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An honor, sir. And no, this is complete fiction.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.