Tuesday, October 09, 2012

10 Questions From Gill Hoffs

My other brother from another mother, Matt Potter, editor in chief and majordomo at the literary magazine where all the cool kids hang out, Pure Slush, asked me to participate in one of those tag you're it blog things. Longtime readers will note that this is not typically the cut of this blog's jib these days, but since the request came from the esteemed Mr. Potter, this blog hopped to it. What follows are Ten Questions, originally promulgated by another of this blog's favorite carbon based life forms, Gill Hoffs. The questions pertain to what this blog hopes will be this blog's next novel, which this blog intends to attempt as this blog's NaNoWriMo 2012 project.



What is the working title of your book?



I don't know. Titles are funny. Sometimes they are so obvious that you can't help it, and other times you can't think of anything that isn't stupid or repetitive. I stole a song title for my first book, so I may just do that. Let's call it "A Long December" for right now.



Where did the idea come from for the book?



A pen pal gave me the idea, based on events from her own life.



What genre does your book fall under?



Probably the same thing all my books fall under- "So Called Literary Fiction". "Fiction With Pretensions," perhaps?



Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?



That's unclear at this time. Certainly young people, or young looking people. I'm thinking a Zooey Deschanel type, only slightly more serious looking.



What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?



"Former lovers narrate their lives through an exchange of letters over the course of years."



Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?



Hahahahahahahahahaha. Seriously. No. Self published, of course. I'm nowhere near good enough to expose my work to outsiders.



How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?



Ideally, November 1-November 30, 2012.



What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?



Well, "Herzog", obviously.
I kid, I kid. I don't know. The only author I compare myself to is Nick Hornby, but that's a grievous insult to him.



Who or What inspired you to write this book?


When my pen pal described her relationship, the whole structure hit me like a ton of bricks. It seems like an obvious book to me, and I'm kind of surprised I've never read one like it. Of course, there may be 200 like it, but I've just never read them. If you have heard of one, please put it in the comments, so I can slit my wrists with confidence.



What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?



I'm not sure. I never think anything I do is any good, so I'm not comfortable asserting something that may or may not interest you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.