Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge: "Folsom Prison"

The inimitable Velvet Verbosity survived her first round play in game, and is fully prepared to win the Division Series of Blogging. This week's challenge comes from another of my favorite Vs, Kurt Vonnegut, and his advice that every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water. This story is called "Folsom Prison".








Johnny Cash looked out into a sea of hard, expectant faces. His people said he was crazy. But he felt music was a calling. It was a way to bring a bit of someone else's experience to you, and to make you feel it, to make you own it. It wasn't preaching, but it was close. He wanted to bring it to all of God's children.

The hot air had dried his throat. He looked at a guard, standing offstage with a billy club.

"Could I get a glass of water?," he said into the mike, and the inmates cheered.

2 comments:

  1. It wouldn't surprise me if this truly happened. Well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did happen. I've seen video. He also drank it. It was brown. Johnny Cash has many haters, but I have a lot of respect for him for many reasons, this being one of them.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.