Sunday, March 30, 2008

Why Go Home?

March 30, 2008

Doctrinal problems tonight-John Adams against the MLB season opener. The second one, anyway. I think I’ll try to catch all of John Adams, then switch to the game. It’s being played in the Nationals’ new stadium, Nationals Park.

John Adams is fantastic, in my humble opinion. Incredibly realistic seeming, with a fair and balanced portrayal, it seems. I didn’t buy Paul Giamatti, initially, and you still have those moments of saying, “Hey, that’s Paul Giamatti.”
But after a while, that fades into the background. And Tom Wilkinson as Ben Franklin is genius, sheer casting genius.

When I watch historical dramas, I sometimes have to remind myself who is who-but not Ben. It’s not just the glasses, but the hair, the face-it’s perfect. Brilliant.

Just had one of those moments when I’m glad I bring a thumb drive to work.

“Her face was shaped like a teardrop, and her hair, once long and prideful, was now cut short and spiky, making her look almost like a gangly teenage boy. She was never really mine, but when I could have been said to have exclusive claim on her heart, she made me stop breathing for just a second when she fixed her gaze on me, like she was doing right now.

‘Please, Ray? Please? I wouldn’t ask you if it wasn’t important.’ ”

I’ve been trying to write the same story for, well, probably as long as I’ve been writing, which dates back probably 20 years at least. I’ve attacked it from several different angles, in different voices, different styles, focusing on different parts of it. It’s never been finished to my satisfaction, and I think I’ve only completely finished it once. The above just came to me. I’ll see if it leads anywhere, or if it’s like the other 37 times I’ve started it.

Probably, if truth be told, it will go as far as being given a file name and stored somewhere until I forget about it or give up on it or both.

I won’t summarize it, because if someone writes it better than me I won’t have any reason to go on living.

Well, other than the new REM album coming out Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.