Saturday, March 07, 2009

The Twenty Album Thing, Part The Fourth(16-20)

16. Eagles, Hell Freezes Over-Another semi cop out. Kind of a greatest hits package from their reunion, but it includes "New York Minute", which was a huge favorite, only redoubled when it was featured, brilliantly, in a "West Wing" episode. A couple of clunkers, but overall a great record that I still enjoy the hell out of.

17. U2, Rattle and Hum-No doubt about it. This album got slagged in the press-absolutely nailed-but I have always loved it. This was the album that got me "into" U2- I was certainly aware of the Joshua Tree and the Unforgettable Fire, but never as nuts about them as most people. I was a little too young, I think.

18. The Police, Synchronicity-Loved the symphonic quality of it, the way it just kind of swept you along towards the finish, repeating themes and such. The first album I ever heard that was an album, not just a bunch of songs. (I hadn't heard Abbey Road yet.)

19. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon-I shouldn't need to tell you how great this is. But this one rings true for me because a certain someone in my past made me take her to the Pink Floyd laser show at the Hayden Plantarium in Boston, Massachusetts, once. I have never forgotten her, or the show, or the album.

20. Aerosmith, Permanent Vacation-the first Aerosmith studio album I was really into heavily, and the first really good one after they decided to come out of their drug induced stupors. Again, a couple of hits-"Angel" and "Rag Doll" and "Dude Looks Like A Lady", with a lot of strong, though forgotten, other material. "Pump" is a close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.