Saturday, August 02, 2008

Good Bay Sunshine

Boston did "hold on" for the 12-2 win.

I feel like I should say something more eloquent about the departure of Mr. Ramirez. Obviously, the post-Manny era is working out pretty well for us so far, but attention, as the saying goes, should be paid.

I've been following the Red Sox since 1978, and Manny gave me a thrill, when he came to the plate, I haven't felt since Jim Rice on a hot streak. He had the power of Rice along with the batting eye and patience of a Wade Boggs, and during his prime, he was about as dangerous a hitter as you can imagine. He was an almost decent fielder at the beginning of his Red Sox career, helped by the small left field in Fenway, but he also managed to gun down more than a few unwary runners trying to sneak into second. He never seemed to get the Yaz trick of baiting guys into digging for second, but he got his share. I never used to read the same stories you used to see about Yaz and Rice taking ball after ball off the Wall to learn every rivet and seam.

That being said, Manny was a child. A selfish little boy who threw tantrums for various reasons, and this season actually got into a physical tiff with the team's elderly traveling secretary. Though no one but him will ever know, at times he seemed to phone it in on the field, not running out grounders or trying as hard as he could at times.

Tempestous and talented beyond all reason, Manny was a distinctive presence. I will miss him in some ways, and not miss him at all in others.

1 comment:

  1. As long as the team wins. I have learned not to root for the player, but rather the laundry.

    I saw that former tribesmen Manny, Casey Blake, and Jeff Kent all had RBIs in the game last night for the Dodgers. Good for them. The Tribe just continues to suck ass in the cellar.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.