Saturday, May 09, 2009

Game Thirty One: Thanks, Tom Verducci!

The Verducci Effect is a theory posited by Sports Illustrated and MLB Network writer Tom Verducci. Verducci claims that any pitcher who increases his major league innings pitched by more than 30 innings under the age of 25 is due to suffer from decreased effectiveness.

Jon Lester is 25 years old. Jon Lester increased his major league innings pitched from 63 in 2007 to 210 in 2008. Jon Lester, after giving up 10 hits and 8 runs in less than 5 innings today, has a 6.31 ERA in 2009.

Thanks, Tom Verducci!

Needless to say, the Red Sox were on the wrong side of a 14-5 score today. The Desperate Third Baseman hit his 11th home run of the year, while in the "Where WERE You?" file, we have Rhode Island's own Rocco Baldelli hitting one, along with Julio Lugo.

3 comments:

  1. Bummer. I wasn't home to pitch by pitch it. Maybe it was a good thing. No happy dance tonight. :<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to call Lugo "Crazy Eyez" (reference to an old Curb Your Enthusiasm episdoe). At the game on Thursday I said if he hit the ball well, I'd stop it and let bygones be bygones. He made a nice hit. So, I'm just calling him Julio now. Just me and him...down by the school yard.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.