Sunday, May 03, 2009

Onto the next 1300....

http://bit.ly/tH3Sd

That last post was number 1300. And to think, nearly 15 of them have made sense!


This link (http://bit.ly/tH3Sd) is to a positively gorgeous excerpt of a letter from English comedian and actor Steven Fry, addressed to his 16 year old self from the present.

While I don't share his sexual proclivities, I can certainly appreciate a sentiment like this:

"How I admire your arrogance and rage and misery. How pure and righteous they are and how passionately storm-drenched was your adolescence. How filled with true feeling, fury, despair, joy, anxiety, shame, pride and above all, supremely above all, how overpowered it was by love. My eyes fill with tears just to think of you. Of me. Tears splash on to my keyboard now. I am perhaps happier now than I have ever been and yet I cannot but recognise that I would trade all that I am to be you, the eternally unhappy, nervous, wild, wondering and despairing 16-year-old Stephen: angry, angst-ridden and awkward but alive. Because you know how to feel, and knowing how to feel is more important than how you feel. Deadness of soul is the only unpardonable crime, and if there is one thing happiness can do it is mask deadness of soul."

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I have had a similar thought, but not so well put. It's that "amputated soul".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I counted 10 that made sense.

    ...?

    Mostly the ones that mention me, of course =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those ones made sense ONLY because they mentioned you.

    I think I was lucid once during August of 2005, and then during a 2 week period in early 2007.

    Other than that, it's been wall to wall lunacy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. Though I'd like to believe that one can find balance between the insanity of emotion that is adolescence and the dull lack of passion that comfortable middle-age can bring.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.