Thursday, June 18, 2009

Possibly the least interesting blog post ever...

Quantum weirdness today.

***

I misplaced my cell phone. After finding it today, it quickly ran out of power, so it is DOA until I can get to a charger. It’s not a big loss-of the 50 calls I might get each month, 48 of them are ones I don’t want to take.

What I am finding is the feeling of being unreachable is a little bit liberating. I used to work for a boss, in the pre cell phone era (yes, there was one!), who would leave a voice mail message every morning detailing where he would be during the day so that you could reach him. Some days, he would just say, “I will be unavailable all day.” I used to marvel at that. To be unavailable-unreachable-unfindable! What a life. Like engaging a personal cloaking device.

Adam Carolla was discussing on one of his podcasts about movies where an uptight character becomes involved with a more loosey goosey character, and the loosey goosey character will throw the other character’s briefcase or cell phone into the lake. You could throw my cell phone into the lake, and I wouldn’t even notice.

I’m starting to seriously consider just getting a pay per use phone, and to heck with it all. However, similar to my bank, I have so many people who know this as my number that to switch would be a pain in the neck.

***

The opening story on “This American Life” was about kids confronting their parents about injustices from childhood. Maybe I’m just getting old, but it made me really angry. I don’t feel like kids have that right.

***

Cute T shirt slogan I saw: “Are you Jewish? Because You Israeli Hot.”

***

Waiting for my car's oil to be changed, early the morning after. The morning after what I wrote last night, which is what I wrote above. Clearly, timing is everything, as they say at the fertility clinic. As we all know, it has to be the morning after.

By the by-Hyundai of North America-Would free wi fi in your waiting room kill you? Seriously?

Listening to Jimmy Pardo's “Never Not Funny”, which is, as always, incomparably good. Well worth the 77 cents per week, although there is something strange about paying for a podcast, as great as it is.

Lots of issues boiling just below the surface for me today, I've had about enough of a couple of different people in my life, and I just can't afford the risk of blogging about it. Perhaps I should go anonymous, like my good friend Otherwise Optimistic. Sigh. Mumble mumble mumble.

***

You know what? I know you're tired. I'm tired too. The difference is, nobody cares about the fact that I'm tired.

8 comments:

  1. I think maybe you've been tired since I first arrived here. :(

    You need to do something nice for yourself, Michael.

    I agree totally that unless we're talking about crimes here... kids have no right to confront parents. They are human. They make mistakes and its a darned good thing we don't hold our kids actions as bitterly in our hearts as some kids do their perceptions of what their parents have done.

    Not the least interesting post I have ever read either. I have written worse.

    My advice... go find something fun to smash and smash the heck out of it. Then take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tired....since God was young. Since the Gettysburg Address didn't have a zip code. Since before Chewbacca needed a shave. Since the Ten Commandments were a rough draft. Since forever and a week, it seems.

    I tend to get apocalyptic when I get overtired.

    "I need about 8 hours of sleep per night, and ten during the day."
    -Bill Hicks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be one of the few who dislikes "This American Life". To me, the host sounds so smarmy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does. He looks pretty much exactly like you think he looks-like the guy in the Verizon ad who is leading the crowd of network people.

    The show can be fascinating, leaving me hanging on every word-and it can have me tuning out 10 minutes in.

    Kind of like life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Michael... you are tired! And giving me quite a good laugh in the process.

    "Since before Chewbacca needed a shave!" lol. Sounds like how old I am too.

    I love the Bill Hicks quote. You are actually highly entertaining to me today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listened to him for years. I imagined someone who looked like Noel from "Frasier". But he did not look that way at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "However, similar to my bank, I have so many people who know this as my number that to switch would be a pain in the neck."

    Hey Mike,

    Depending on which pay as you go service you go with, you can actually take your number with you. My wife and I made the switch recently and while I decided to get a new number, my wife was able to transfer her number to her new service.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.