Sunday, August 02, 2009

Got Me Wrong

Listening to Alice In Chains’ “Sap”. Forgot how good this disc was.

***

Have you ever seen anyone whose walk reminds you of someone else? Or is that just something I notice?

***

Another unearthed, forgotten masterpiece: Soundtrack to the movie “Backbeat”. Songs the Beatles performed in Hamburg (pre-Ringo, pre-stardom), 50s rock standards, reimagined with a heavy, sweaty, rock club, amphetamine fueled sensibility. Absolutely priceless. Musicians are alt rock supergroup (Thurston Moore, Dave Pirner, etc.)

***

Given Clay Buchholz’ post deadline debut (given a large lead, proceed immediately to frittering it away), methinks maybe we overrated him a tad.

***

Why is Connect Four on the IPhone so bloody difficult?

***

Second side of Abbey Road: (“You Never Give Me Your Money”-“The End”)-best side in rock n roll history? Close competition- Zoso, side one (“Black Dog”-“Stairway To Heaven”) and Appetite for Destruction, side one (“Welcome to the Jungle”-“Paradise City”). Don’t forget Moving Pictures, side one, either. (“Tom Sawyer”-“Limelight”).

I have complained about this before, but obviously no one cared, so I’m forced to complain about it again-one more thing that the rise of the MP3 has done is destroyed the album as an object of composition. Then again, having essentially all the music I care about in a space that fits comfortably into the front pocket of a dress shirt is pretty good, too.

***

1 comment:

  1. I simply cannot live without my MP3 player now. But I prefer to listen by album otherwise that shuffle will throw me a song that jabs my brain!

    The wrong song at the wrong time is a terrible thing.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.