Well, it isn't in North America, but just like it being 5 o'clock somewhere, it is Wednesday somewhere, too. This week Janera has served up ten questions based on words from New Jersey's own Bruce Springsteen, which you can find here.
1. “When it comes to luck, you make your own.” Do you believe you have that type of control over your luck?
No. I have long had issues with the notion that you get what you deserve, cosmically speaking-the idea that affirmations or the Secret or prayer will give you what you want. You can't control the cards you're dealt, only the way you play the hand, to quote Randy Pausch.
2. “You've got to learn to live with what you can't rise above.” What is something you have had difficulty rising above?
My weight and my melancholic temperament.
3. “Poor men wanna be rich, rich men wanna be kings, and a king ain’t satisfied till he rules everything.” Would you want to be rich?
Uh, yeah. They say rich people have problems, too, but I'd love to find out how.
4. “The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with.” Tell us about a song that helps you "face the world."
Lots and lots of candidates. Billy Joel's "You're Only Human" has gotten me through tough patches.
5. “In America everything's about who's number one today.” Have you ever been a fan of someone you thought would last but turned out to be a flash in the pan?
I was a big fan of Tesla, a metal band from the 1980s that never quite lived up to the promise they showed.
6. “Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse?” Has any dream of yours come true?
7. “Our American government has strayed too far from American values. It is time to move forward. The country we carry in our hearts is waiting.” What would you change if you became the president?
End the wars.
8. "Yeah, I had gay friends. The first thing I realized was that everybody's different, and it becomes obvious that all of the gay stereotypes are ridiculous." How do you feel about gay rights?
Absolutely, unequivocally, without reservation, I'm for equal human rights for everyone.
9. " It's a sad man my friend who's living in his own skin and can't stand the company." Have you ever been disappointed in yourself?
Only on days that end in "Y", my friend.
10. "The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with." What's your favorite type of music? What's your favorite band?
In that horrible cliche that everyone seems to spout, all types of music. I have several favorite bands, depending on several different factors, including my mood, but the one musician who means the most to me, who I can (and have) listened to over and over again, first album to last, without getting tired of it, is William Martin (Billy) Joel.