Friday, October 17, 2008

The Drums are Beating

Watched The West Wing again this morning-two more episodes from the period when I wasn't watching. They're covering the last year of the President's term, with primaries beginning and conflict, of course, everywhere. Then they play JFK, a movie I could watch a hundred times. I don't believe his thesis any more, but the themes still move me.

As my Dad wrote on the previous entry, the only comeback greater than last night's is October 12, 1929-the Chicago Cubs, after dropping the first 2 games, win game 3 and stun John Picus (Jack) Quinn in game four with six early runs. Chicago takes a 8-0 lead into the bottom of the seventh(!) before Philadelphia (!) comes back with TEN in the seventh to win, 10-8. Chicago, on the verge of tying the Series, then drops Game Five to give Philadelphia the title.

Of course, something else happened in 1929, too.

Plus, this gives me an excuse to write about Al "Bucketfoot" Simmons. One should never allow a chance like that to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.