Monday, October 13, 2008

Game Three Is Not For Me

Why do you ask a question and react with hostility when I give you an answer? I just had someone call me and ask me a question-whether or not two events were related. I told her that, given my professional knowledge, it was unlikely. She reiterated that she needed to know why the second event had occurred. I told her, again, that I couldn’t be sure, but it was not likely. She replied, curtly, “Fine,” and hung up.

WTF?

It is my fifteenth wedding anniversary tomorrow.

This afternoon in Boston, according to my phone, Boston got hammered, losing to the Tampa Bay Naughty Fish, 9-1. This gives Tampa a 2-1 lead in games, and in a scene that is somehow prototypical of this long season, the Red Sox turn to Tim Wakefield to, in essence, save their season. As deep as Boston’s pitching appeared to be at times, the middle relief and starting pitching depth have not been strong enough. I am resigned to this-2004 and 2007 hangover lets me be more placid than a pre-2004 me could have been. According to my phone, Lester got rocked, and Paul Byrd came out of the bullpen to be rocked as well. If anyone else had pitched, they probably would have been rocked too. (Where is Mike Timlin when you need him?)

Apple is brilliant. Despite our mutual agreement to cut corners until the apocalypse is over, my wife bought a Mitch Hedberg album last night on ITunes, and I bought Bruce Springsteen’s Live at Hammersmith 1975. They just make it so damn easy to spend money!

I certainly didn’t need more live Bruce Springsteen, and we already have all of Hedberg’s recordings except for that “new” one. Reminds me of one of his bits-“The only way I could get my old CDs into stores was to leave it there. ‘Sir, I think you forgot this-‘ ‘No I did NOT. Please alphabetize IT.’” Hedberg was brilliant, and gone way too soon.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, and incidentally? It's my fourteenth anniversary, not my fifteenth. I remember what day it is, I just can't count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!

    Apple has yet to make it easy for me to spend money. The iTunes song files are non-standard, crippled and hard to use. Amazon has the right idea, by selling actual MP3 files.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary. Anyone that's married for anything over 5 years, I consider to be amazing :)

    If I'm ever married for anything over 6 months, I'll consider that amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all very much.

    I got my wife tickets to go see Brian Regan, a standup comedian, and she got me an ITunes gift card. We're not real big about that sort of thing, truth be told, but as the saying goes, attention must be paid.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.