Sunday, October 12, 2008

So Jaded/ALCS Game Two Backwash

Brilliant beginning to the DSC (www.dailysourcecode.com) this week, with some scarily prescient Bill Hicks (“Go back to bed, America”) overlaid over a techno beat.

You know what? Coming inside to see me and telling me how beautiful the weather is outside? Everyone enjoys that but me.

Adam then played “Once In A Lifetime”, which made me think of two things. First, one of the most clever Beavis and Butthead jokes ever-Beavis is watching a David Byrne video, and he intones solemnly “You may find yourself in a beautiful house/With a beautiful wife/And you may ask her/’Hey, where’s the bathroom at?’ ”.

The second was my physiology professor, who I had an earth shattering crush on in college, and who was a big Talking Heads fan.

“My God, What Have I Done?”

…and then, after a segment of a Ron Paul speech, “Nothing Else Matters.” I love Adam Curry. I never would have thought to put that song here, after a long economic rant, but it fits. Clearly, the man is unhinged, but brilliant. Adam Curry for President.

Adam’s talk about the election reminds me of something I read a long, long time ago-Joseph Heller, in Bill Moyers’ “A World of Ideas”, noting that he doesn’t vote any more, because he doesn’t see any need to support one wing or the other of the Big Money Party.

I don’t want to admit it, but I think he’s right.

Early this morning, Tampa scored a run in the eleventh inning to beat the Red Sox in Game Two of the American League Championship Series, 9-8. Game Three is Monday in Boston.

According to Dwight Silverman on Twitter, there is going to be a Prisoner remake, which is somewhat of a mixed blessing. The Prisoner was an English series, somewhat like Lost, I guess, never having seen Lost, where it is never entirely clear what is going on. The Prisoner is a secret agent of some sort, presumably English, who tries to resign and is kidnapped and transported to The Village, a bizarre seaside village where everyone and everything is controlled to a disturbing, Orwellian degree. It is deeply bizarre, with its own rituals and symbols and just general late sixties weirdness, but I can definitely see its relevance to today’s events, living in “Gitmo Nation”, as Adam likes to put it.

The heavy metal band Iron Maiden did a song on one of its albums about the show, and you can sometimes see the show on PBS once in a while. BBC America should really bring it back. The phrase, “I am not a number, I am a free man” on my disclaimer is from the opening credits of the show. Apparently, the new Prisoner is going to be a reimagining, a la Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Battlestar Galactica. That will probably lose some of the psychedelia, but maybe not.

I remember I read somewhere that Patrick McGoohan, who played the prisoner on the show, was up for the part of James Bond at one point, only to turn it down because he had religious objections to the character. If that’s true, it’s certainly interesting. There was very little violence in the TV show, and no gunplay, if I recall correctly.

OH (overheard): “I need to go in front of you! I have a dog in the car without air conditioning!”

a)WTF?
b)Why don’t you roll the windows down?
c)Why didn’t you leave the dog at home?

Some pet owners, like some parents, are incredibly presumptious and overbearing about things like this. It’s called planning and foresight. You should try it sometime.

That’s obnoxious, but I’m sorry. Bad planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

“How on Earth did I get so jaded/
Life’s mystery seems so faded-“

Soul Asylum, Runaway Train

Ah, Soul Asylum. Work for years in tiny, crappy clubs, and all I remember you for is one line in one song. I guess that beats not being remembered for anything at all, right?

5 comments:

  1. I hate to see pets in cars when its so darn hot outside. I feel so sorry for the poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nerd that I am.... how was Spider-man a reimagining? There was no old movie series. And the last "Superman" was not ao much a re-imagining: they made an effort to keep a lot from the old movies, and fit it in between a couple of them, in fact.

    Galactica and Batman? Definitely reboots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess what I'm saying is that there is an existing ethos-if you've been alive during the last 50 or so years, you know that Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider, blah blah blah-the movie told the origin myth, which, if you had read any of the comic books or watched the cartoon, you knew.

    I didn't see the new Superman, for no real reason.

    You're right, of course-they are not reimaginings the way Batman and Galactica were. Retellings, I suppose, would be a better term.

    Batman Returns was on TV today while I was getting dressed for work-it was a lot worse than I remembered it. Made Dark Knight look a hundred times better by comparison. Pfeiffer was ok, but the rest of them were sleepwalking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the Christopher Walken villain. Remember, he had the scheme to build a power plant to drain power out of the city.

    Enron could not have done better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very true-I forgot about him. He's always good, isn't he? He's one of those actors who is always playing himself, but he always gives a good performance.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.