Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My cynicism was NOT rewarded!

Well, I got a response from the Pakistani Spectator guy, and, strangely enough, it did not involve forking over thousands of dollars in order to help transfer funds. It appears that the gentleman actually wants to know answers to these questions. Why is still unclear to me, but without further ado, the Pakistani Spectator Guy Questions:

Would you please tell us something about you and your site?

There's not much to say. A lot of words, rivers and oceans of words, going back to 2003.

Do you feel that you continue to grow in your writing the longer you write? Why is that important to you?

I wouldn't say grow so much as not fall behind. One of the reasons I blog is to keep my faculties sharp-keep in practice forming sentences and paragraphs.

I'm wondering what some of your memorable experiences are with blogging?

I'm wondering, too. I've "met" some swell folks, and exchanged opinions and views. I've enjoyed that.


What do you do in order to keep up your communication with other bloggers?

Commenting. Once in a great while, we will email each other, but it's primarily commenting.

What do you think is the most exciting or most innovative use of technology in politics right now?


I am dramatically unqualified to answer this, but I would say twitter and microblogging and text messaging would be the most important technology advance in political life.

Do you think that these new technologies are effective in making people more responsive?

I guess so. Again, not my cup of tea, but yes, I think that's fair to say.

What do you think sets Your site apart from others?


Not a goshdarn thing.

If you could choose one characteristic you have that brought you success in life, what would it be?

Stubbornness. Plain and simple.

What was the happiest and gloomiest moment of your life?

Gosh. The happiest part has to be when I got married, which I say both because it is true and because it will decrease the odds of my getting hit. Gloomiest? No comment.

If you could pick a travel destination, anywhere in the world, with no worries about how it’s paid for - what would your top 3 choices be?

1. London
2. Paris
3. San Francisco

What is your favorite book and why?


Hard one. Tends to change from time to time, but right at this moment it is probably F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. I love it because it is so crystalline and perfect and pure.

What’s the first thing you notice about a person (whether you know them or not)?


I think their attitude-whether or not they seem hostile.

Is there anyone from your past that once told you you couldn't write?


Not really, no. Perhaps through silence, but no one ever said I was no good at this. I decided I would start blogging to prove it.

How bloggers can benefit from blogs financially?

Not a clue. If I knew, I would be doing it.

Is it true that who has a successful blog has an awful lot of time on their hands?

I think it depends. Some do, some don't.

What role can bloggers of the world play to make this world more friendlier and less hostile?

Not much, I don't think. We can be a little less sarcastic, I guess. But what fun would that be?

Who are your top five favourite bloggers?


Gosh.

So many choices.

Phil Nugent has to be up there (philnugentexperience.blogspot.com), along with my pal and sometime foe DMarks (inaholdingpattern.blogspot.com), Katie (dontcallmekathleen.blogspot.com), J-Money (thetypingmakesmesoundbusy.com), Scott Adams (dilbert.com/blog)


Is there one observation or column or post that has gotten the most powerful reaction from people?


I can't think of one particularly. I usually get a few comments when I go heavily political, but sometimes not.

What is your perception about Pakistan and its people?

I can't say that I have one, honestly. I think, like a lot of Americans, we're so wrapped up in our own problems we don't think much about the world at large.

Have you ever become stunned by the uniqueness of any blogger?


I think J-Money (thetypingmakesmesoundbusy.com) is brilliantly funny, making every post almost a humor column. But every blogger is special in their own way.

What is the most striking difference between a developed country and a developing country?

I couldn't say. I'm an ignorant American who can't be bothered to check out most of my own country, never mind others.


What is the future of blogging?


Darned if I know.

You have also got a blogging life, how has it directly affected both your personal and professional life?


It hasn't. I think I would be a little embarassed if some people saw this, but I have tried to follow Joe Kennedy's advice-never write anything you'd rather not see on the front page of the New York Times.

What are your future plans?

Tomorrow I have to get new tires put on my car.

Any Message you want to give to the readers of The Pakistani Spectator?


Good luck, I guess. It's pretty likely, if you are living in Pakistan, that your life is harder than mine is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.