Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In principle, I could have saved $19.00

I went with my son to see "Star Trek" today, thus continuing my unbroken streak of being nearly the last person to do, well, everything.

It was utterly marvelous, for geeks and non geeks alike. Exciting, funny, full of action and tension and everything you ever wanted for 90 minutes or so of your life.

Of particular note is Michael Giacchino's music. I say that not because there was anything particularly good or bad about it, but only because he hails from my current neck of the woods and was a friend of my bride's back in the day. Which, as Dane Cook taught us, was a Wednesday.

So anyway, the movie was just plumb wonderful, even if you didn't happen to care for the TV show or the other movies.

The funny and or notable part was that no one took our tickets. And by no one, I mean no one. In principle, I could have walked right in and seen the movie without paying. (In this economy, maybe they're reduced to just hoping they can sell me a soda.)

Being the online hepcat that I am, I bought tickets online, then we went early to catch all the previews. So we go into the lobby, my son goes off to play video games (for some reason, in a house full of them, console games still hold an appeal. Whatever.) (Fellow middle aged people-remember Galaga? Right? It was cool-in 1982. But you can do so much more exciting things online or on any home system-better graphics, better sound, more involved storylines, better AI. But my son is excited to play Galaga. With quarters. Riiiiiiiight.)

So we go in, we get our popcorn, he gets his fill of coin based gaming. We wait until what seems like the appropriate time, online tickets in hand. There's nobody there. So they are taking tickets at the door of the theater? Nope. We stroll right in, wait through a few songs on the PA, and the previews start.

As Kevin Smith once said, and Harrison Ford said before him, "No ticket."

Or, rather, we had tickets, but we didn't show them to anyone in authority.

Wierd.

Anyway, if you're one of the other 32 people who haven't seen Star Trek yet, it's worth your time. If you're even distantly familiar with these characters, you will probably love it.

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun movie. I won't tell you how I saw it, though. (ah-hem.)

    lol... your son and Galaga. Hey, I still love that dumb game!

    We bought a retro atari game system with a bunch of original games and my Halo3 loving boys still attack that with gusto! I think they are kind of like magpies...if it's shiny or gamey in this case...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it yet. I seriously can't remember the last time I saw the inside of a theater.

    Definitely check out the Onion's "review" of Star Trek. They had "interviews" of Trekkies who just saw the movie and were outraged at how well-produced, well-acted, and compelling the movie was. Best quote (paraphrased): "If I wanted to see attractive people doing exciting things, I'd watch sports." Very funny.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.