Saturday, June 13, 2009

Terminator: Salvation

My son and I saw Terminator: Salvation today.

I wanted to love it-I really, really did.

I didn't hate it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood?

It is another exploration of the Terminatorverse, and like similar movie reboots, it has nods to the earlier films-an Arnie-looking face on a robot, the Guns N Roses song "You Could Be Mine", the faded picture of Linda Hamilton, the stock phrases-"Come with me if you want to live", "I'll be back".

I guess I just reacted poorly to the obviousness. Of COURSE the doctor is pregnant. Of COURSE the guy who is a convicted murderer has a heart of gold.

The whole big picture of this universe has always interested me-the whole time travel, change the past to change the future notion. And the movie does not lack for whiz bang-explosions, and gunfire, and crazy crashes and booms. So it was exciting, but grimly so. None of the chuckles you get from the original trilogy.

And no Summer Glau either.

***

I saw a really clever slogan on a t shirt, though. A young man and his date were walking in front of me as I was leaving, holding hands. The back of the young man's shirt said, "Confidence: The Feeling Before You Fully Understand The Situation".

***

Went to the library today, and have already started and finished Walter Kirn's "Lost in the Meritocracy". It's a memoir about Kirn's youth and adolescence, growing up in Minnesota and going to Princeton. It kind of made me want to read "This Side Of Paradise", but not enough to actually, like, go find it.

I am now starting "My Life As A Quant", another memoir, this time of a physics PhD who moved on to the world of high finance, becoming one of the geniuses who nearly destroyed the world. One interesting thing so far is that he mentioned an Iraj Kani. I had a professor in college by that name-I wonder if it was the same guy?

2 comments:

  1. I've been avoiding Terminator like the plague.

    Did your son like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes-there was enough whizbang stuff for him to like it well enough. He isn't into the Terminatorverse like I am, though.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.