Monday, June 01, 2009

Reorganizing The Meme (Mambo Number Five)

Searching for a theme, or an inspiration, or something that will enable me to put off balancing my checkbook for just a few more minutes, I tuned in to www.thedailymeme.com, which seems to provide, well, memes. And stuff.

The one that appealed to me was "5 Things You Want Your Children To Know", which can be found at www.fireball.lifewithchrist.org. That site was a little too earnest for me, so I then went on to discover that Ananda,(www.oodlesoffunch.blogspot.com) is counting down to her summer vacation. Today being number 5 on her list is just too perfect.

So today, with all these fives, and knowing that you all just couldn't continue without me for another 24 hours, I present to you my own FIVE THINGS.

FIVE THINGS I WOULD LIKE MY CHILD (OR SOMEONE'S CHILD, BECAUSE MY CHILD IS NOT ALWAYS TERRIBLY COOPERATIVE) TO KNOW, UNDERSTAND, APPRECIATE, OR AT LEAST REMEMBER:


1. Jamie Moyer is only the tenth left handed pitcher to win 250 games in the major leagues. I tried to think of the other 9 at work today, while I probably should have been working-and I came up with Warren Spahn, Tommy John, and Steve Carlton before petering out. The other six are Gettysburg Eddie Plank, Tom Glavine, Lefty Grove, Randy Johnson, Jim Kaat, and Eppa Rixey. (How could I have forgotten Billerica's Tom Glavine? And the Lonacoming Lefty? And Kitty? And the Big Unit? I really should have gotten all of them except Rixey and Plank. Sigh.)

Point being: Being curious about stuff like this, and knowing enough about stuff like this that you can do it from memory, is both good training for the 'ol cabeza and a way to keep you from going insane. Caring about stuff is good for you.

2. It is critically important-more so than almost anything else I can tell you-to do something as a career that you love. If you can find something that you love, and get really really good at it, I think eventually someone will pay you to do it. Of all the mistakes I have made, I regret this one the most.

3. If you have a good book, you'll never be alone.

4. It really, truly does not matter what other people think of you. You have to live with yourself at the end of the day.

5. Skip school at least once. It's good for you.

And to wrap things up, also thanks to Ananda, we have this YouTube tribute featu ring two of my very most favoritist things, Billy Joel and Kurt Vonnegut.

4 comments:

  1. I love your list! They are perfect advice. I second all of them.

    Michael I am thrilled you jumped on to the five thing. I've had more fun with this. Dmarks over at Throwawayblog did a "Five" too.

    It's been a great day with his blog and yours... this is what it's about (for me anyway)... not just me giving my opinion, but what comes back from everyone else in response and how they compliment each other... the new doors that open. Very cool beans!

    The Kurt Vonnegut video couldn't be better.

    Big cheesy grin! And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm entirely stealing this Meme for the 20 something writer's blog this week.

    BOOYAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfectly fair-not like I haven't ripped you off a billion times.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I should have included, #6) Please, in the name of all that is good and decent, be CAREFUL WITH YOUR MONEY. Whatever you want to buy on credit, no matter how shiny, it is probably NOT worth the heartache the debt will bring you.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.