Sunday, July 18, 2010

After Further Review: "Plain Jane" by Cristyn West

My pal Cristyn West (otherwise known as @craftycmc on the Twitter) asked me if I would review her novel "Plain Jane", a thriller which she accurately calls a James Patterson-ish police procedural. I don't typically read a lot of those sort of books-they are fine, but they have a sameness to them that tends to have them lose their flavor, in my mind. Plus my bedside table has a stack of library books on it, so even though Cristyn gave me the link, I warned her it might take a while for me to get to it.

So I decided I'd take a peek last night, see how the story begins. And the next thing I knew, I was gasping to the finish line this afternoon, unable to stop. West cooks up a serial killer story with a unique twist that I will not spoil here. It is a definitely adult story, but well done, with characters that aren't like any others I have encountered. All in all, an extremely well constructed, pulse pounding read that is positively worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.