Sunday, June 01, 2008

501 and counting...

Manny got #501 as Boston takes another one in Baltimore today, 9-3.

http://onthemedia.org/transcripts/2008/05/30/01


Fascinating story I listened to on the way home from Virginia Heffernan of the New York Times. Apparently, Japan has these "immersion pods" with stereo sound, high speed internet, and comfortable chairs where you can go to get away from it all. She makes a very interesting point that ALL media-music, newspapers, novels-are inherently isolating, because they're for YOU. Yet somehow if you find yourself among friends online you are dangerously unhinged, while if you engross yourself in Dostoevsky you're expanding your mind.

My first thought is sign me up for one of those pods.

My second thought is I want to get away from it all because people, generally speaking, suck.

Yet why do I want to read about and listen to podcasts by people?

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.