Monday, June 02, 2008

Metallica Gets It

After being a foe of digital downloads, Metallica has established their own digital download service. If you preorder their new album, they are giving you bonus live tracks and videos online.

I am currently listening to "Master of Puppets", recorded at the KROQ Weenie Roast in May 2008.

This is the kind of thing I have been arguing for a while now. Give the people what they want-the live tracks, the geek stuff-make them feel special, and they'll pay for it, happily.

Great idea, and I'm glad they finally saw the light.

www.missionmetallica.com

I have loved Metallica since 1986's "Master of Puppets" album. I was 15 in 1986, and Metallica gives you the same thrill, as a 15 year old boy, as dinosaurs do a 3 year old boy. Metallica is big, and mean, and they're bigger than your Mom, and they can go to bed whenever they want.

I guess on some level, I'm still 15.

3 comments:

  1. I am like this over Bon Jovi. For similar reasons, but also different ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't everything similar, but also different?

    I used to make fun of Bon Jovi when I was 15. Now I love them, of course. I guess I had to catch up to them-"New Jersey" was the album for me. I guess you don't get Bon Jovi until you're in love and you listen to them.

    I had a cassette single of "Wanted: Dead or Alive" that had three versions-an acoustic, a live, and a studio. I used to listen to it, over and over again, in my car waiting for my first serious girlfriend to finish ballet rehearsal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Pink Floyd whilst pregnant w/my first child, Ben, in Pittsburgh back in 1988.....he is a heavy metal guitarist in his spare time. I saw Metallica Summer Sanitorium Tour in LA whilst pregnant with the 2nd child in 2004. The 3rd child got the shaft.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.