Saturday, September 13, 2008

Blowback

Great news from the Twitterverse-one of my favorite podcasts, “We’re Both Right”, is hopefully going to return to the air very soon. It is (well, it was-reportedly they went off the air because someone at their mutual workplace heard the podcast and objected to it) a half hour musing on pop culture, news items, and just general riffing between two regular guys. It had a quirky charm that I can’t easily explain. Hopefully they will be back soon.


Lots of dire financial talk across the podcasts today. From Adam Curry’s Daily Source Code to KCRW’s Left, Right and Center, things look black. Adam seems to be rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect of financial Armageddon, and at times, I can sympathize. The metalhead in me just wants the revolution to come, but the adult in me knows that there will be plenty of suffering. It terrifies me that I have a child who is going to grow up in this world. I am certain I am not doing as well as my father did, and I am just as certain my son will not do as well as I am.


The blowback from the Palin/Gibson interview is, as they said on LR and C, a Rorschach (sp?) test for how you view the election. Right wingers seem completely oblivious-Palin did fine, they were all trick questions, blah blah blah….From what I have seen, it was an embarrassment. She was smooth, certainly-poised and cool-but her answers were either laughably false, wrongheaded, or batshit insane. I do not understand how people can defend this choice.


Does anybody else hear a sneer in Palin’s voice? I hear a very Bushian whine, a superior sounding, you’re-stupid-for-just-asking-this kind of nastiness that I find very offputting. The superiority of the conservative Christian.


I’m glad to see Palin being called a liar in the national press, finally. “I said thanks but no thanks to that bridge to nowhere.” That is a lie-an untrue statement. Factually incorrect. Wrong. Saying it again and again does not make it true.


I heard a very disturbing story-second hand, but still-someone who was traveling to Tennessee told me that someone told him that gasoline was approaching $5 per gallon there, and there were semi serious gas shortages-a la 1973, you pull into a gas station, money in hand, and are told, “Sorry. No gas.” Now, I realize that Tennessee is a big place, and I realize that this is third hand information, but is anyone from Tennessee reading this? Is this true? If so, why aren’t we hearing about it?












2 comments:

  1. "batshit insane" cracks me up! We here in VA are experiencing some fuel restrictions (can only purchase $10 worth). And both of the stores in my tiny town are out of gas. One store sold over $16,000 worth of gas in a single day which is unheard of around here. Folks are frazzled around here. Glad to hear Jersey's not feeling the effects yet (hopefully never!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuel restrictions? Seriously? Why isn't this more of a story?

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.