Thursday, September 11, 2008

Idle Thoughts

Both Tampa and Boston are idle today. Tampa Bay is 2 1/2 games in front. Tampa goes into Yankee Stadium on Friday, and Boston welcomes the red hot Jays into Boston. After that, Boston goes into Tampa for another series.

It is September 11, 2008, the seventh anniversary of the terrorist attacks in 2001.

Hard to know what to say about that.

One of the things I remember most clearly was hearing Carl Castle describe what had happened-I had gone into a grocery store to get milk on my way home from a doctor's appointment. The very first thing I thought was about the bomber that crashed into the Empire State Building by accident on a foggy day in the 1940s. I remember distinctly thinking, "Wow, what a horrible mistake to make."

In retrospect, that was obviously wrong-it was a gorgeous day. (I'm about 90 minutes from New York City-close enough where, generally speaking, we have mostly similar weather.) But that's what I thought.

My wife and I had hotel reservations and theater tickets for the next weekend, too.

3 comments:

  1. the day does invoke thoughts...

    I was not around for Pearl Harbor or Kennedy, but the event does put into perspective the words of my folks "I remember exactly what I was doing when I heard..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first thought of the Empire State Building plane crash when I first heard the very first 9-11 report too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DMarks-That's interesting-because you're almost the only person I've ever heard say that.

    I remember NPR mentioning it, too, that morning-this was before the second plane hit, obviously, but it was that kind of instant context sort of way they do.

    ReplyDelete

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.