Friday, September 12, 2008

Death Magnetic is Here!

Metallica's ninth studio album, Death Magnetic, is out.

A word of praise here for Warner Brothers, Metallica's label. Some time ago, I signed up with Mission: Metallica, a website that promised an instant download of the album at midnight this morning, September 12, the album's release date. They had a number of packages on sale, and I chose one that combined the album download with a CD copy mailed to my house. I'm not sure why-the download would have been enough. I just did.

The download went through, of course, but in this MORNING's mail, I have my CD as well. I assumed the CD would come in 2 or 3 weeks, assuming their efforts would go towards seeing that the download worked and getting the CD into stores-at least the few stores that still sell them.

I just want to applaud Warner for doing what it took to make sure the album was here TODAY, on the release date. It obviously took some thought and effort on their part, and I appreciate it. Firstness is a stupid concept-the music isn't going to sound any different because I have it first. But it's cool. And coming from someone who stood in line at midnight for Metallica releases, there's something cool about having it in my hot little hands this morning.

Why can't book publishers do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for making you sign in, but I'm trying to cut down on spam.